Saturday, April 11, 2009

I saw a cat get hit by a car tonight

There was a kitten meowing a foot away from my open window earlier tonight. I looked at it and it looked at me for about a minute, then it ran away and peeked at me from behind an electrical box across the lawn. I thought it might be hungry, so I went outside with some tuna fish. As I was sitting the tuna down on the sidewalk about 50 feet away from the cat, it darted through a fence into North Avenue. Right in front of a car. I stood there, wincing with tuna can in hand, watching the cat scream and try to stand. I couldn't hear anything over the sound of cars. No car stopped because there was no space to pull off the road. But finally, the cat dragged itself off of the road and through the fence again.
I wanted to call the humane society, but it was around midnight and they would be closed. And last time I called them about a stray dog ripping apart garbage in 20 degree weather, they didn't even ask me where to locate it.

I looked for the kitten from afar (because it was clearly terrified of me), but it had dragged itself down some hole and disappeared. It's probably dying a painful, slow death as I type this. I feel terrible :(

I made some stuff. I'm still thinking about a leave-behind.
Tomorrow, I have to make some sort of presentation and write a massive paper about something. So that day is pretty much wasted. Still, it's much better than dying alone from getting hit by a car...

Listening to:
Gregory and the Hawk - August Moon

4 comments:

Andrew Davis said...

gee whiz ellen, thank you

Andrew Davis said...

by the way, that checkers game you designed is awesome.

Ellen Kling said...

Thanks, Andrew. My boyfriend created the actual working game. I just made it pretty for him. I'll give him proper credit and make a link to play the game on my site real soon! :)

Ursa Eyer said...

that was a truly horrible story. thanks for the nightmares.